Shazam’s 2014 Acts To Watch & 2013 Big Hitters
Woo hoo! It’s that time of the year when we put a flag in the ground and announce our ’2014 Artists To Watch’, as well as reflect on the big successes in the Shazam Charts this year.
2014 Artists To Watch:
Our Music Team selected the following artists by taking a look at what the critics say, and then cross-checking that against what you – our fans – are Shazaming. Which basically means it’s a) alot more scientific than just personal opinion and b) it’s democratic – with input from our millions of users rather than a handful of selected critics. So without further ado here’s the performers we expect to make headlines in 2014:
- Action Bronson – Queens native Bronson lists early influences as Wu-Tang Clan. He launched his first album 2011 but gained huge Shazam tags in 2013 after releasing several hotly tipped mix tapes.
- August Alsina – August’s single “I Luv This Shit” has been one of the most Shazamed rap tracks of 2013 and his mix tape tracks are also gaining traction with hip hop heads
- Banks – Born Jillian Banks, she started writing music as a teenager in suburban LA and released an acclaimed EP in 2013.
- Jhené Aiko – Collaborations with Drake and Big Sean thrust her into the public eye in 2013. Now, after releasing a mix tape, ‘Sail Out’, Aiko looks set for big things.
- Kid Ink – XXL Magazine listed Kid Ink among artists like Danny Brown and Macklemore in its 2012 Freshman Class feature. Signed with RCA/Epic, Kid Ink is set to release his first album under a major label this year.
- Lucy Hale – Best known for her role as Aria Montgomery on the ABC Family series, Pretty Little Liars, Hale is set to be the next country star.
- Martin Garrix – Dutch DJ best known for his track, “Animals,” Garrix is the youngest person ever to top the Beatport charts.
- Rich Homie Quan – Georgia native and artist for the Island Jam label, Quan has been named by the New York Times as one of “Atlanta’s rising generation of rappers … who deliver lines with melody and heart, like singers on the verge of a breakdown.”
- Sam Smith – London-born Smith contributed the soaring vocals on Disclosure’s 2013 hit, “Latch” and Naughty Boy’s “La La La.” He prefers the raw soul style in the vein of his favorite artists, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan and Aretha Franklin.
- Vance Joy – Originally from Melbourne, Vance Joy has already achieved success in his native Australia with his single, “Riptide,” and is set to break globally this year.
Predictions from previous years include Haim and French Montana (2013 predictions), A$AP Rocky and Lana Del Rey (2012 predictions).
2013 Top Shazamed Songs Worldwide:
2013 will be best known as the year Robin Thicke’s dance track “Blurred Lines” became the soundtrack of the summer and newcomer, Lorde, stormed the charts worldwide with her debut track, “Royals.” But they can’t touch Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, who owned 2013 with three successive hits “Thrift Shop”, “Can’t Hold Us” and “Same Love.”
And don’t forget to check out our blog for the most popular Hip Hop, Dance Music and Country Music Shazamed tracks for 2013, as well as most Shazamed tracks in UK, Australia, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
Shazam gives you instant satisfaction when you want to know what song is playing:
- Identify music
- Preview and purchase songs
- Watch music videos
- Get song lyrics, album reviews and more!