Historic Olympic Moments Drive Millions of Shazam Interactions
Viewers used Shazam to experience more of all the drama and music of NBC’S coverage of the 2012 London Olympics
New York – August 13, 2012 - Shazam®, the world’s leading media engagement company, today revealed that there were several million interactions with its Shazam-enabled NBC Olympics broadcast and more than a million from last night’s Closing Ceremony, alone. Olympics fans used the Shazam App to access numerous features such as video highlights, athlete bios and stories, results, and the medal count to keep up with all of the action using the “second screen”, their mobile device. Fans could also follow the latest tweets of just the athletes or everyone, and share their favorite Olympic moments via social media sites Facebook and Twitter.
“This has been a major achievement for Shazam,” said Andrew Fisher, CEO. “While the Super Bowl was an incredible one-day live event, the reaction to the Shazam Olympic experience over the course of the last seventeen days has exceeded our expectations. NBC has been a truly world class partner, collaborating with us to deliver a unique social TV experience with up-to-the-minute content that was always fresh and engaging on the second screen.”
Some of the most tagged moments during the broadcast reflect the memorable and historic achievements that happened during this year’s Olympics:
- July 27: Opening Ceremony, “Frankie and June Say ... Thanks Tim”
- July 28: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings win opening beach volleyball match vs. Australia
- July 29: Team USA grabs lead in women’s gymnastics qualifier
- July 30: Conclusion of men’s gymnastics final
- July 31: Michael Phelps wins his 18th Olympic career medal in the 200m butterfly
- August 1: Rebecca Soni sets a new world record in the 200m breast stroke semi-final
- August 2: Tyler Clary upsets Ryan Lochte and wins gold in the 200m backstroke
- August 3: Men’s shot put final
- August 4: Post-race interview with Oscar Pistorius of South Africa after winning second in his 400m heat
- August 5: Women’s gymnastics vault event final – McKayla Maroney takes silver
- August 6: Gabby Douglas prepares to compete in the women’s gymnastics uneven bars final
- August 7: Aly Raisman wins gold in the women’s gymnastics individual floor final
- August 8: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings compete in the women’s beach volleyball gold medal match
- August 9: Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee compete in the pole vault and javelin legs of the men’s decathalon
- August 10: Tirunesh Dibaba, Ethiopia, prepares to compete in the women’s 5,000m final
- August 11: Athletes compete in the men’s 10m platform diving final
- August 12: Closing ceremonies
The top 5 sports categories that were driving the engagement by Shazam’s Olympics fans were: gymnastics, swimming, track and field, beach volleyball and basketball.
Music was one of the stars of the 2012 London Olympics and featured throughout the Games. Starting with the epic “Isle of Wonder” Opening to the lively “A Symphony of British Music” Closing Ceremonies and throughout the historic moments in between, people used Shazam to discover, buy and share the featured music. Below are the top five songs from the Opening and Closing Ceremonies:
Opening Ceremony –
- “Bonkers”, Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden
- “Tubular Bells”, Mike Oldfield
- “Chariots of Fire”, London Symphony Orchestra
- “Pretty Vacant”, Sex Pistols
- “I Heard Wonders”, David Holmes
Closing Ceremony –
- “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”, Eric Idle
- “Price Tag / Written in the Stars / Dynamite”, Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz
- “Wannabe / Spice Up Your Life”, Spice Girls
- “Wish You Were Here”, Ed Sheeran, Richard Jones, Nick Mason & Mike Rutherford
- “Wonderwall” Beady Eye
With the beginning of the new fall season of TV shows next month, viewers can expect to see a number of exciting TV events, shows and new ad campaigns that incorporate Shazam, enabling fans to engage with and experience more of the shows and brands that they love.
Customer Support Queries:
Use our contact form
Shazam Media Relations
+44 (0) 20 8742 6820
US Media Enquiries:
UK Media Enquiries:
For press/media usage:
The Shazam logos on this page may be used under these guidelines only by press agencies and journalists publishing articles specifically about Shazam and its products and services. No other use of the artwork or any use outside these guidelines is permitted.
- The Shazam logo artwork should never be recreated or altered in any way – the images on this page are sized to allow a minimum "clear" space around the company logo.
- Logos should never be re-colored, skewed or rearranged.
- Always use approved Shazam logo artwork.
- If you are talking about our App, use our Product Application Icon; if you are talking about our company, use our Company Logo.
For all other, non-journalistic usage:
If you wish to use one of our logos for any other purpose, eg: featuring the Shazam App in a marketing campaign, you will need to obtain written permission from Shazam. Please contact email@example.com - we will respond to you within one business day.
Shazam Product Application Icon
Download as EPS and PNG
Shazam Company Logo
Download as EPS and PNG
Shazam Infographic February 2013
Download as JPG
Shazam Timeline, February 2013
Download as JPG